Previous to Version 2.3 Build 2, the threshold for issuing this warning was lower than the DTX CableAnalyzer. It has since been adjusted to match the DTX CableAnalyzer. Please ensure you update your unit to the latest version available.
When running an Autotest using the Channel Adapters, you may see Bad patch cord at main or Bad patch cord at remote. (Or both)
An example screen is shown below:
- The cause is a poor (twists not maintained) RJ45 plug termination on the patch cord.
This patch cord was not certified.
- The standards require tester manufacturers to remove the effects of the Channel Adapter.
- That includes the RJ45 plug inserted into the Channel Adapter.
- What happens if that RJ45 plug is not terminated well? Nothing. So long as the rest of the link is ok, we should report a PASS.
- However, the DSX CableAnalyzer will detect a poorly terminated patch cord.
- The DSX CableAnalyzer takes a look in the Time Domain to see how good/bad the mated NEXT is in just the Channel Adapters.
- If it exceeds a predetermined level, it will not implement the Channel Adapter cancellation and give the warning above.
Solution to bad patch cord message - replace/fix the patch cord.