IMPORTANT NOTE FOR EXISTING DSP-4300 OWNERS:
DSP-4300; you save the Cable ID List to the memory card.
DTX CableAnalyzer; you save the Cable ID List to the tester or the MMC with DTX Version 2.74 or later.
LinkWare PC Version 9.6 and DTX Version 2.78 now permit up to 2,000 Cable IDs per list. Are you running the latest code?
At a job site, you usually name each test with the identification code assigned to the link tested. You can enter this ID character by character, or by selecting the ID from a pre-generated list.
Using a pre-generated list ensures the correct Cable ID scheme is used. No one likes renaming 1,000s of test results after they have been downloaded because the Cable ID scheme in the contract was not followed correctly. It also prevents testing the same link twice, a common problem in field testing.
To create a list of sequential IDs (Using the DTX):
1. Turn the rotary switch to SETUP.
2. Use to highlight Instrument Settings, then press ENTER.
3. Press ENTER to select Cable ID Source.
4. Use to highlight Auto Sequence, then press ENTER.
5. Select a template.
6. Select Start ID. Use the soft keys and ENTER to enter the first ID in the sequential list. Press SAVE when you are finished.
7. Select Stop ID. Use the soft keys , and ENTER to enter the last ID in the sequential list. Press SAVE when you are finished.
8. Press F3 Sample List to see what the list will look like.
9. Press SAVE when you have finished editing.
10. When you use an ID from a list, the ID is marked with a $.
To create a list of sequential IDs (Using LinkWare PC Software):
1. Open LinkWare PC
2. Select Utilities > DTX CableAnalyzer > Create ID List. The following window will open:
3. Click on Build Sequence.
4. Letters and numbers in sequential IDs increment from right to left. The following characters are not incremented:
Special characters: / # * - . , : [ ] space
Characters that match between the start and stop IDs.
For example if the start and stop IDs were ROOM1 and ROOM25, the characters ROOM would not increment.
5. The following start and stop IDs could be used for testing the cabling in two rooms where each room has three cable drops:
Start ID: ROOM A DROP#1
Stop ID: ROOM B DROP#3
These Start and Stop IDs produce the following ID list:
ROOM A DROP#1
ROOM A DROP#2
ROOM A DROP#3
ROOM B DROP#1
ROOM B DROP#2
ROOM B DROP#3
6. If you see the following error message:
Verify that the types of characters in each position match between the start and stop IDs. For example, using the letter O as the third character in the Start ID and the number 0 as the third character in the Stop ID is not allowed.
Verify that you are not using the characters / # * - . , :[ ] space or accented characters as incrementing characters. You may use these characters in IDs, but they must match between the Start and Stop IDs.
7. Once you have created the list, click on the To DTX button to send the list to the DTX CableAnalyzer. Lists can be saved to your PC by clicking on Save ID List.
8. To select a Cable ID List in the DTX CableAnalyzer:
Turn the rotary switch to SETUP.
Use to highlight Instrument Settings, then press ENTER.
Press ENTER to select Cable ID Source.
Use to highlight List, then press ENTER.
Use to highlight your newly created Cable ID List, then press ENTER.
Turn the rotary dial back to Autotest and begin testing.